Choose A, B, C or D that best completes the sentences.
1. Do you want to stop in this town, or shall we _______?
A. turn on B. turn off C. go on D. look after
2. Who will ________ the children while you go out to work?
A. look for B. look up C. look after D. look at
3. Please ________ the light, it’s getting dark here.
A. turn on B. turn off C. turn over D. turn into
4. The nurse has to _________ the patients at the midnight.
A. look after B. look up C. look at C. look for
5. There is an inflation. The prices __________.
A. are going on B. are going down C. are going over D. are going up
6. Remember to _______ your shoes when you are in a Japanese house.
A. take care B. take on C. take over D. take off
7. You can __________ the new words in the dictionary.
A. look for B. look after C. look up D. look at
8. It’s cold outside. __________ your coat.
A. Put on B. Put down C. Put off D. Put into
9. If you want to be healthy, you should__________ your bad habits in your lifestyles.
A give up B call off C break down D get over
10. Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today.
A. do B. let C. delay D. leave
11. My father still hasn’t really recovered from the death of my mother.
A. looked after B. taken after C. gone off D. got over
12. The bomb exploded with a loud bang which could be heard all over the town.
A. went on B. went out C. went off D. went away
13. John, could you look after my handbag while I go out for a minute.
A. take part in B. take over C. take place D. take care of
14. Bill seems unhappy in his job because he doesn’t get _______ his boss.
A. up to B. on for C. on well with D. in with
15. Why do they ______ talking about money all the time?
A. keep on B. give up C. take after D. stop by
16. My father gave up smoking two years ago.
A. liked B. continued C. stopped D. enjoyed
17. The government hopes to _________ its plans for introducing cable TV.
A. turn out B. carry out C. carry on D. keep on
18. When the tenants failed to pay their bill, the authorities decided to _____ the gas supply to the flat.
A. cut down B. cut out C. cut off D. cut up
19. Choose the underlined part need correcting:
“Please turn up the radio, I can’t concentrate on my work”
A B C D
20. You go on ahead and then I’ll catch _____ you.
A. along with B. forward to C. up with D. on to
21. I was born in Scotland but I ________ in Northern Ireland.
A. grew up B. raised C. brought up D. rose
22. How do you start the computer?
A. How does the computer turn on?
B. How do you turn on the computer?
C. How do you turn the computer on?
D. Both B and C are correct
23. I/ not accept/ offer/ turn down/
A. I couldn’t accept his offer to avoid turning down him.
B. I couldn’t accept his offer because he was turned down.
C. I couldn’t accept his offer, so I turned it down.
D. I couldn’t accept his offer whether I was turned down.
24. Both Ann and her sister look like her mother.
A. take after B. take place C. take away D. take on
25. I’ll be back in a minute, Jane. I just want to try out my new tape recorder.
A. resemble B. test C. arrive D. buy
26. They are appealing ____ local business for sponsorship money.
A. in B. at C. on D. to
27. The Red Cross is aimed _____ providing medical aid and other help to victims of natural disasters.
A. in B. at C. to D. for
28. WHO’s main activities are carrying _____ research on medical development and improving health care.
A. out B. in C. for D. of
29. Do you agree that a happy marriage should be based _______ love?
A. to B. on C. with D. about
30. The bomb went _________ with a loud bang which could be heard all over the town.
A. out B. off C. after D. on
31. Whenever the problems come __________, we discussed them frankly and solved them quickly.
A. up B. for C. out D. on
32. Who looks __________ the children when you are going ________ from home?
A. out of/ on B. up/ off C. for/ out D. after/ away
33. The national curriculum is made _______of the following subject: English, Maths, Chemistry and so on... .
A. from B. on C. up D. in
34. Shy people often find it difficult to ________ group discussions.
A. take place in B. take part in C. get on with D. get in touch with
35. “To give someone a ring” is to __________.
A. call him up B. marry him C. admire him D. pick him up
36. Her life was devoted ______ the relief of suffering.
A. for B. in C. on D. to
37. Because of heavy rain, the game was ______ for a few days.
A. taken out B. put off C. set up D. gotten away
38. What may happen if John will not arrive in time?
A. go along B. count on C. keep away D. turn up
39. Johnny sometimes visits his grandparents in the countryside.
A. calls on B. keeps off C. takes in D. goes up
40. They decided to postpone their journey till the end of the month because of the epidemic.
A. take up B. turn round C. put off D. do with
41. I do not use those things any more. You can _______ them away.
A. get B. fall C throw D. make
42. They were late for work because their car _______ down.
A. got B. put C. cut D. broke
43. At the station, we often see the sigh “________ for pickpockets”.
A. watch on B. watch out C. watch up D. watch at
44. I am late because my alarm clock didn’t _________ this morning.
A. come on B. ring out C. go off D. turn on
45. UNESCO _____ United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.
A. stands for B. brings about C. takes after D. gets across
46. Don't forget to ________ your gloves on. It is cold outside.
A. let B. make C. put D. fix
47. The passengers had to wait because the plane ______ off one hour late.
A. took B. turned C. cut D. made
48. The bomb exploded in the garage; fortunately no one hurt.
A. put on B. went off C. got out D. kept up
49. I can’t _____ walking. Can we stop and have a short rest?
A. go on B. get on C. go up D. get up
50. You can look __________ these new words in the dictionary if you don't know their meanings.
A. up B. after C. for D. out